Tool & Die Manager
CDS – Custom Downstream Systems is a leading manufacturer of downstream plastic extrusion systems for some of the largest suppliers of plastic products in North America. As a manufacturer of custom turnkey systems, we also have a department that provides custom made tools & dies.
We are looking for someone who will come on board and learn gradually all about designing our products up to managing the department. At first, you would design tools, communicate with customers, prepare technical specifications for quotations, prepare lists of materials and work with toolmakers and others from the department to ensure the finished product reflects the specifications.
Gradually this position will lead you to take on management tasks such as be in charge of your own projects and supervise all the employees working in the department to finally take over it completely.
This position is for someone who wants to design as much as acquiring a management role. Someone who can speak to customers, employees in production as much as management. We are a company that capitalizes on long term relationship with its employees and it is our goal with this position.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Understand and interpret the machining die;
• Evaluate the needs for tooling/ and equipment for machining and advise the Manager;
• Prepare machinery according to production specifications and drawings;
• Execute the first production test and execute adjustments;
• Operate conventional machines, lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, drills and saws.
• Execute a variety of tests, verifications of machined parts and follow through with necessary corrections;
• Polish and store machined parts in designated skids according to supervisor instructions;
• Execute hardening and dipping of small to average sized tools;
• Assembly and disassembly of a variety of tooling, machines, accessories and dies;
• Maintenance of work area, tools and equipment;
• Advise supervisor of any broken or defect parts or equipment;
• Participate in training of employees;
• All other related tasks;
Education and skills:
• DEP CNC machining and/or toolmaking / Chemistry;
• 1 – 3 years of working experience as a machinist;
• Masters reading and interpreting drawings;
• Masters industrial mathematics and a variety of scientific instrumentation;
• Knowledge of a variety of metals for machining;
• Adaptable, ability to learn, to work as a team and good communicator;
• Attentive to detail, punctual, autonomous and professional attitude;
• Owns a tooling kit is an asset;
• Bilingual in French and English an asset;